What would our lives be like if I had not chosen "Jane Eyre," from a booklist of 100 classics for an English project. Mom read it a billion times when she was my age and I read it over Christmas break, then we got the two part version off of netlflix (thanks again Coxes) and were pretty impressed. Now, do not fear, this recommendation is purely a suggestion for one night when you are searching for something interesting to do; I will not say that you are under stict obligation to watch it, then stalk you and ask if you've rented it everytime we come in contact. But by chance if ever you find yourself thinking (as so many of us do every once and a while)..."Ah what to do? Let's see, are there any halfway decent movies floating around out there?" then maybe you will think to yourself, "Hey, that Penny wrote something about...what was it? Jane Eyre i think it was? Let's give it a try. After all, that blog was stupendously brilliant, witty, and reliable..."
To sum it up: poor hated orphan goes to strict school, gets smart, gets a job at an English manor as a governess...But wait! this particular manor has a dark, festering mystery...who or what is lurking around at night, starting fires, attacking guests from the shadows, and scratching at Jane Eyre's door? Mystery aside, Jane Eyre (quiet, astute, confident young lady) falls in love with the eccentric boss. This inevitably (if you have seen any movies at all) creates a love triangle between the plain, smart, governess and a certain rich, fancy lady.
If you're thinking its an old classic chick-flick...you're only half right. Dad, who at first skeptical of this non-action packed, lovey-dovey film, gave it a try and ended up liking it. So, if anyone is suspecting a lack of interest for manly-man, buff, masculine, macho, manish, testosterone driven, tough guys...think again.
p.s. oh yeah, there's only one good version. It a two part thing with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephans. We tried to watch a different version and if I ever hear that crummy music again, I might have to hurt something.
3 comments:
not even almost....you guys DEFINITELY freakishly cool.
Thanks Orson. I'm not used to such lavish compliments.
...wait...
Post a Comment