Sunday, October 23, 2011

Alaskan Cruise (finally)

May 8-14 Cruise to Alaska 

 I remember the amazing food from this week, lots of resting, some shopping and spending time together.



I was so tired before this trip, I had been trying to conserve sick leave; vacation time and working on the house on Saturdays. I looked forward to the cruise as an oasis of rest, exercise and freedom from the daily grind, and spending time with David. 

Penny and Grandma dropped us off at the door of a huge terminal where our baggage was checked and passport examined. We received an invitation to attend a special lunch in the dining room & our room key, etc; then sat down waiting to board. We didn't wait long, they took pictures of us right before we stepped out of the terminal to board the ship. 

together



and separate



We were both so excited as we ate lunch while they cleaned our room. In a way it was the most delicious meal. Because we weren't spoiled yet and they put on a very impressive spread Then, we wanted to check out our room and see the verandah.

We went up an elevator that (we later found out) was not the closest to our room and nicknamed this, the never-ending hallway.

I like to unpack our things, I've heard that the cabin steward would do it but if he cleans the bathroom that's good enough for me. Actually, he made our bed everyday brought fresh soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower caps and straightened our room. While we ate dinner he turned down the covers and put a chocolate on each pillow.
Anyway the room was way smaller than it looked in the pictures ahead of time but we loved the ability to open the door and hear the waves and see Seattle float by as we pulled out of port.
I brought several books and found a quiet place on a deck near the waterline where I read and then watched the water hoping to see a whale. David and I explored the ship and some of the ports. We played shuffleboard on nice days and walked on the promenade deck outside every day, often stopping at the stern to see the wake.

This was Glacier Bay.

The ship photographer took our picture.

I think this was Juneau
We circled lots of things to do on the daily planner, and did some of them. A chef taught a class to make cherries jubilee and creme brulee.  We went to some evening shows too, the best was an illusionist. We missed some things because it just seemed like too much trouble at the moment. In the evenings when we got back to our room we watched the whole collection of Harry Potter movies; one per night, to get ready for the very last one.  When we save up some more vacation money, we want to go again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty dang late, but looks fun.

CoplanRanch said...

Yeah. I was waiting for pictures or just didn't feel like it back then.

Ryan and Diane Egan said...

Yea, looks fun & relaxing!